29 May 2010

Spicy Moroccan Stewed Fish with Couscous

Stew in the summer! Are you crazy? No, just lazy. We made this in February and I'm just now posting about it. This spicy (or not, depends on your taste or what you forget) stewed fish recipe is quick and adaptable, which is good because I wanted to use food that was already in the house and when I went to the store to buy ingredients I forgot the shrimp. So now there's no shrimp. But it's not called spicy stewed shrimp now is it? Oh, it's called spicy...and I don't have a hot chili, well fine*, I'll substitute a nice red bell pepper and call my dish Moroccan Stewed Fish with Couscous. Mmmmm good. Don't worry I added some special olives and pickled lemons to make up for my forgetfulness.





The pepper* and the lemons. Let me tell you about these lemons. I bought them in an international grocery in St. Louis near the Crown Candy Kitchen. CCK is awesome, so awesome and sugar overloading that it made me forget the name of the lemon store. I love these lemons and they make almost every dish better, but alas I can't find them here and as you can see the jar is almost empty!

Recipe Time: Spicy Moroccan Stewed Fish with Couscous
adapted from Cooking Light January/February 2010
which was adapted from Jamie's Food Revolution by Jamie Oliver
serves 4

1 Cup uncooked couscous
2 Tbs olive oil
3 Tbs lemon juice
3/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 1/2 Cups fat-free chicken broth
20 oz uncooked white fish, cut into large pieces
1 tsp ground cumin
3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp diced garlic
1 bell pepper, diced (*okay, it should be 1 fresh hot chili, thinly sliced)
14 1/2 oz can diced tomatoes
1/2 cup frozen green peas
6 large olives stuffed with feta
1/4 medium-sized pickled lemon

  1. Place couscous in a medium bowl or sauce pan (basically anything with a lid); add 2 Tbs lemon juice, 1/4 tsp salt, and 1/8 tsp pepper. 
  2. Pour boiling chicken stock over couscous; cover and let stand for at least 5 minutes. 
  3. Fluff couscous with fork before serving.
  4. Sprinkle 1/4 tsp salt and 1/8 tsp pepper over fish. 
  5. In a large skillet, warm 2 Tbs oil over medium heat. 
  6. Add remaning lemon juice, cumin powder, cinnamon, garlic, and *bell pepper. Cook for 2 minutes.
  7. Then layer the fish and tomatoes. Cook for 5 min.
  8. Add peas and cook for 5 more min.
  9. Serve the stew over couscous, garnish with pickled lemons and olives.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails